The natural preserve Spessart (Central part)

( with the localities Rothenbuch, Mespelbrunn, Heimbuchenthal, Dammbach,
  Eschau, Mönchberg and their sights )


Rothenbuch Schloss-Hotel Former Kurmainz hunting seat of 1527 (water castle, today castle-hotel), opposite the hunting seat stands the castle-chapel of 1573, a former mill in the Hafenlohr-valley (1742), half-timbered farm-house with a village-museum.


Heimbuchenthal Rococo church (1757), former iron-hammer-works "Höllhammer" (direction Dammbach/Eschau),
Above the Höllhammer at the forest-edge is an old cemetery of the Rexroth-family (Mannesmann/Bosch Rexroth).
Heimbuchenthal was until May 26, 1968 the terminus of the Elsavatal railroad-line.


Mespelbrunn Wasserschloss Mespelbrunn Kirche
»Pearl of the Spessart« becomes the romantic water castle from the 15/16th century named. Beautifully in the valley of the Elsava lain, it is the most famous sight in the Spessart. The west front with two unequal round-towers mirrors itself without wind in a pond. In the castle live the counts of Ingelheim. Big parts of the home-historical and family-historical collection come from the possession of the Wurzburg prince-bishop Julius Echter. Sightseeings are possible. In the local-part Hessenthal stands a pilgrimage-church and beside it the funeral-chapel (1439) of the family Echter.


Dammbach-Geishöhe Aussichtsturm On the height "Geishöhe", with 521 m over NN the highest situated settlement in the Spessart, is an outlook-tower. Former iron-hammer-works »Höllhammer« (direction Eschau/Heimbuchenthal). Above the Höllhammer at the forest-edge is an old cemetery of the Rexroth-family (Mannesmann/Bosch Rexroth).


Eschau-Oberaulenbach Town-hall from the 15th century, in the local-part Sommerau, on the opposite bank of the Elsava, stands the water castle of the count Fechenbach (16th century, private possession). The water-castle Oberaulenbach (private possession) lies at the local-part Unteraulenbach and at the local-part Wildenstein lies the castle-ruin Wildenstein from the 13th century.


Mönchberg Significant church (1749 / 1751),
town-hall (1609) with the village-museum,
beautiful Franconian half-timbered houses.